It seems Korean food is becoming more and more popular in Brussels, and some of them really make an effort to make their beer menu as attractive as their food menu. An excellent example of this is Bap and Dak, in the Rue Lesbroussart in Ixelles.
Not only do they offer a tasty selection of Korean comfort food inspired by the vendors of the steamy Gwangjang market, but they also showcase some of the best local craft breweries!
You can’t say “Korean” and “comfort food” without mentioning yangnyeom tongdak, or Korean fried chicken, as it’s usually called. Of course it is on Bap and Dak‘s menu—as a separate dish, or as part of a combination menu—and they do it very well.
Another famous Korean dish is bibimbap. Not only the ‘normal’ version is on the menu, but also the dolsot bibimbap. This is served in a hot, stone bowl, which crisps the rice, and cooks the egg, which is added raw. A very tasty discovery was the yeongeun jorim, sweet soy braised lotus roots, but the other available side dishes too will delight lovers of fermented and pickled food. As happens to us too often, we were already full before dessert, but we were certainly intrigued by the black sesame ice cream, matcha ice cream, and mochi.
The attention for beer at at Bap and Dak is remarkable. They even mention the IBU for each beer on the menu! There are two beers available on draught: Dupont‘s Rédor Pils and Brussels Beer Project‘s Delta IPA. The bottle and can list furthermore contains a whole lot of beers from Brussels breweries: BBP‘s Petite Pépite—which was actually brewed in their Dansaert brewery—and De la Senne‘s Jambe de Bois, for example. Judging by their social media posts, they also regularly serve beers from La Source and L’Ermitage.
The restaurant isn’t very big, but quite popular, so make to book a table when you want to go there!
- Two beers on draught: Rédor Pils and Delta IPA
- In can and bottle beers by BBP, De la Senne, Surréaliste, and more
- Korean comfort food
What have people been drinking here recently?
- Stefano F. is drinking a Cass Fresh at Bap and Dak
- Hanna K. is drinking a Cass Fresh at Bap and Dak
- David F. is drinking a Cass Fresh at Bap and Dak
- Enrique G. is drinking a Rédor Pils at Bap and Dak
- Guillaume M. is drinking a Pilsner at Bap and Dak
- Philippe D. is drinking a Fugushima at Bap and Dak
- Jakob N. is drinking a Surréaliste at Bap and Dak
- Shiva R. is drinking a Fugushima at Bap and Dak
- Corrie is drinking a Fugushima at Bap and Dak
- Martin J. is drinking a Rédor Pils at Bap and Dak